navit-project.org

forum for navit navigation tool
It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 17:24
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC

Post subject: Technical problems with the forums or something else
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2014, 18:36 

Has anyone experienced technical problems with the forums or other components of the Navit website in the last days or weeks? There have been almost no posts, not even support requests in the last weeks, which is more than strange, in particular since it was holiday season (and I remember a lot more activitiy usually around this time, when people are less busy with work).

In any case, it would be good to monitor the server availibility and sanity. IIRC, there exists already something like this... But I'm not sure. Number6, tryagain, wasn't one of you monitoring this? I just thought we could have the Navit bot report about server failures on IRC (unless it also crashes, in which case it would disappear from IRC). I have seen something similar in #osm-dev on OFTC.

Post subject: Re: Technical problems with the forums or something else
PostPosted: 07 Jan 2014, 14:07 

Not that I ever write much, but I've not lookedg at the site at all over the holiday.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2014, 21:45 

Don't know, but perhaps it's due to the fact the forum isn't that easy to find? I've known navit for quite some time, but haven't used it much. I did sign up for the forum just a couple days ago, having run into some small problems which are now (partially) solved.

There's no direct link to the forum on the main navit project site. There's only a link to the (mostly dead) sourceforge forum, but to get here you've got to go to the wiki and then to support.

I've had to spend many hours to get navit to the point where I can use it for routing on my notebook and android tablet, so the entry barrier is rather high. It would help greatly if the program came shipped with some more fancy layout (especially osd) settings and if it would be possible to switch osd settings from within the gui as easily as switching rendering schemes.

This is drifting off topic, so I'll stop for now.

Regards
Ektus.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2014, 11:26 

The situation is that the servers/accounts are under the control of our maintainer (user:cp15) but we lost contact for some months. The original plan was to kill the navit landing page and forward it to the wiki. There we link to the forum and to IRC (that is still the most frequently used support channel, even I guess the forum suits better to the need of endusers).

Yes the situation (docs, communication, ...) is still disappointing but we are on a way :) What I like to say is that we are aware of this uncomfortable troubles
http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Release000501
We welcome anybody that like to help us and support our team.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2014, 15:44 

Yes, indeed, the forum is a bit hard to find. I was just wondering because we had almost daily activity here (just like now) which suddenly stopped completely ;)

Does anyone know how to create a "sticky" topic or announcement in the sourceforge forums? I tried and it says that I have moderator privileges there, but it looks like a very primitive forum implementation...

I don't know whether I have write access to the main Navit webpage, probably not. But I will have a look later, just in case.

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2014, 21:12 

xenos1984 wrote:
I don't know whether I have write access to the main Navit webpage, probably not. But I will have a look later, just in case.

I have added the Forum link to the navigation bar of www.navit-project.org, and updated the contacts page.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2015, 23:33 

It seems that new posts (which have been posted after my last visit) don't show up anymore when I click on "View new posts". The list is always empty, even if someone has posted in the meantime. Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2015, 16:29 

Hm, maybe the forum is getting confused about the date of your last visit?

I always use "View active topics" on the top. That works for me.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2015, 19:30 

Yes, that's possible - actually this time it worked. I'll keep my eyes on this problem and try to see under which circumstances it happens...