navit-project.org

forum for navit navigation tool
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 04:12
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Feel free to ask anything here related to the installation and configuration of Navit.

Some notes before your first post:

Please provide as much informations as possible:

Post subject: Problems entering destination
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2015, 07:20 

Hi all,

there are two annoying problems with entering a destination via it's name:

1) More often than not, entering the name of a town results in a list with two occurrences of the same combo of postal code and name (e.g. Konradsreuth -> 95176 Konradsreuth). Only one of these two allows entering of street names.

2) Even in the right entry, Navit won't find the street "Gottschalk" (a small hamlet) when entering Konradsreuth first. It will find it when entering the name alone, though. In the online routing service of OSM, the address (2, Gottschalk, Ahornberg, Konradsreuth, Landkreis Hof, Oberfranken, Bayern, 95176, Deutschland) looks complete.

Map data: Pre-defined Germany from march 15th, 2015
Navit version: 0.5.0 6017 on Android, obtained from f-droid

Regards
Ektus.

Post subject: Re: Problems entering destination
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2015, 15:05 

Hi, Ektus!

Thank you for your report!

We were not considering items tagged as highway=track and quite a few other minor streets for address search. Now, with r6032, your case works for me.

Regarding multiple Konradsreuth you see in your search results, it's probably related to having multiple maps active at the same time. These results may come from other maps, which do not fully cover your area, but still have that street name in index.

As I do not see any Konradsreuth in Germany without zip code, I guess you have some pretty old map rsiding in your /sdcard/navit folder or somewhere else, if you have customized your navit.xml.

All maps could be seen under settings->maps, you should have only one enabled (marked with a green bullet) map of type binfile. Currently navit has problems working with several maps enabled.

If your problem persists with one map enabled, please tell us what search method do you use: gui internal one (available after map tap under Ort) or android native.

tryagain.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2015, 16:16 

tryagain wrote:
Hi, Ektus!

Thank you for your report!

We were not considering items tagged as highway=track and quite a few other minor streets for address search. Now, with r6032, your case works for me.

I'm going to test as soon as it's available from f-droid.

tryagain wrote:
Regarding multiple Konradsreuth you see in your search results, it's probably related to having multiple maps active at the same time. These results may come from other maps, which do not fully cover your area, but still have that street name in index.

Good catch. There were two maps on the device and active, and the map I thought was active wasn't. This has been corrected, but neither map was particularly old.

tryagain wrote:
As I do not see any Konradsreuth in Germany without zip code, I guess you have some pretty old map rsiding in your /sdcard/navit folder or somewhere else, if you have customized your navit.xml.

I had to re-install my device, which may have messed up the map locations.

Both entries in the search results were with ZIP code, though.

tryagain wrote:
All maps could be seen under settings->maps, you should have only one enabled (marked with a green bullet) map of type binfile. Currently navit has problems working with several maps enabled.

If your problem persists with one map enabled, please tell us what search method do you use: gui internal one (available after map tap under Ort) or android native.

The double entry is gone, thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction.

I'm using the gui internal search. How do I access android native on a tablet running CyanogenMod (equivalent to Android 4.3) or phone running stock 4.4?

Best Regards
Ektus.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2015, 16:58 

Hi!

With currently available map (20150320), we have two cities of Konradsreuth in Germany, one has zip 95176, while another one has 92685, they also are tagged with different administrative division tags, so should be easily distinguishable.

Android native method is available through hardware menu button which you probably do not have. So you'll have to wait till we make it available on devices like your. It actually gives no much benefit compared to gui_internal method, so please don't worry. I have asked the question just to make sure I do not miss the needed detail.

F-droid seems to daily follo dailyw our commits, so let's hope you'll be able to test it soon.

tryagain

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2015, 17:27 

Hi!
tryagain wrote:
With currently available map (20150320), we have two cities of Konradsreuth in Germany, one has zip 95176, while another one has 92685, they also are tagged with different administrative division tags, so should be easily distinguishable.

I know there are two of them, but both appeared twice on my tablet and still appear twice on the phone.

Attachment:
File comment: Double entries in location search on phone with Android 4.4 and Navit 6017
Screenshot_2015-03-28-18-12-34.png
Screenshot_2015-03-28-18-12-34.png [ 103.49 KiB | Viewed 4100 times ]

The phone has three maps installed and active, Germany, Hungary and Romania.

Attachment:
File comment: Active maps on phone.
Screenshot_2015-03-28-18-23-22.png
Screenshot_2015-03-28-18-23-22.png [ 99.32 KiB | Viewed 4100 times ]

tryagain wrote:
F-droid seems to daily follo dailyw our commits, so let's hope you'll be able to test it soon.

I keep checking for updates :-)

(edit: https://f-droid.org/wiki/page/org.navitproject.navit says they are not current, but doesn't state why. last update 6017, should be 6031 or later!)

Regards
Ektus.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2015, 09:40 

F-Droid has published a new version last night, and entering the address now is possible.

Thank you!

The problem with the duplicate entries persists, though.

Best regards
Ektus.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2015, 11:47 

Ektus wrote:
F-Droid has published a new version last night, and entering the address now is possible.[...]

Thanks for checking! The problem with duplicate entries looks like a bug, or maybe some inconsistency in the OSM data. We have had such problems before, and they can be tricky.

To clear this up, could you summarize the information from this thread and create a bug ticket at http://trac.navit-project.org/ ? Then we won't lose track of the problem.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2015, 09:02 

sleske wrote:
Ektus wrote:
F-Droid has published a new version last night, and entering the address now is possible.[...]

To clear this up, could you summarize the information from this thread and create a bug ticket at http://trac.navit-project.org/ ? Then we won't lose track of the problem.

Done. http://trac.navit-project.org/ticket/1295#ticket

Regards
Ektus.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2015, 13:36 

Hi,

Not sure if my problem is the same or totally different...

I am in Canada, and when Navit gets a fix, entering destination has USA for a country. Oops.
I can switch it to Canada by entering Can. This is good.
But then it takes me into entering the street, and none of the streets I am entering brings back any results.
I can manipulate the search into going back to enter the city, and it recognizes Brampton, but still no luck with the streets.

And if I somehow end up in entering house #, I can't seem to have a way to complete it, as there are X on both sides of the input box.

What am I doing wrong?

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2015, 14:41 

DrmCa wrote:
Not sure if my problem is the same or totally different...

I am in Canada, and when Navit gets a fix, entering destination has USA for a country. Oops.
I can switch it to Canada by entering Can. This is good.
But then it takes me into entering the street, and none of the streets I am entering brings back any results.
[...]

That does sound like a different problem (actually, several related problems).

Could you create a new topic? Thanks!