navit-project.org

forum for navit navigation tool
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 04:02
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Feel free to ask anything here related to the installation and configuration of Navit.

Some notes before your first post:

Please provide as much informations as possible:

Post subject: Waypoint handling
PostPosted: 08 Jan 2014, 22:01 

Hi all,

is it possible (and if so how) from within the GUI on a Android tablet to

• Remove a waypoint
  • sort waypoints
  • name waypoints so that you know where to insert the next waypoint in the list

On my ancient A780 with Alk CoPilot, all of these features have been present and working since 2005...

Waypoints are named automatically after the street name or number there.

Regards
Ektus

Post subject: Re: Waypoint handling
PostPosted: 09 Jan 2014, 10:59 

Hi Ektus, thank you for your feedback :)

At least deleting a waypoint (we are talking about bookmarks, right?) is currently possible: Mainmenu-bookmarks-<pick the one>-remove Bookmark.

Sorting is AFAIK always in chronological order (last added is at the bottom). What kind of sorting would you prefer and should it be default or optional?

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2014, 11:12 

usul wrote:
Hi Ektus, thank you for your feedback :)

You're welcome :-)

usul wrote:
At least deleting a waypoint (we are talking about bookmarks, right?) is currently possible: Mainmenu-bookmarks-<pick the one>-remove Bookmark.

Sorting is AFAIK always in chronological order (last added is at the bottom). What kind of sorting would you prefer and should it be default or optional?

No I'm not talking about bookmarks. I'm talking about routing and route planning.

- Set Position
- Set Destination
- Route is not to my liking, set waypoint on alternate route (or additional destination I want to visit en route)
- repeat
- change order in which waypoints/destinations are visited
- remove waypoint from route
- copy waypoint from route to bookmarks

Did I make myself more clear now?

Regards
Ektus.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2014, 15:48 

Adding waypoints is certainly possible, the menu entry for this is called "visit before". So if you have a route planned and click on some point on the map, then on the "world" icon and then on "visit before", you can choose where to add it to the route. However, I'm not sure about removing or reordering waypoints right now, I have to check that.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2014, 12:23 

xenos1984 wrote:
Adding waypoints is certainly possible, the menu entry for this is called "visit before". So if you have a route planned and click on some point on the map, then on the "world" icon and then on "visit before", you can choose where to add it to the route.

Yes, I know and had already found it (once activated in Windows respectively updated in Linux). It does work, but as stated before, it only shows a list with Waypoint1 Waypoint2... where it's unclear which is where on the route, which is the destination, and where they are. Hence the request for naming the waypoints.

xenos1984 wrote:
However, I'm not sure about removing or reordering waypoints right now, I have to check that.

I believe it has been discussed earlier, but I don't know if the waypoint handling has been finished back then.

There are some bugs also in this area:

#46 It'd be nice to have several waypoints, not only a destination(marked fixed, but are the features really there?)
#894 Route along gpx waypoints
#1040 Improve waypoints handling (marked fixed, includes waypoint removal)
#1053 Routing with waypoints only routes to next waypoint after recalculation

Regards
Ektus.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2014, 14:00 

Ektus wrote:
Yes, I know and had already found it (once activated in Windows respectively updated in Linux). It does work, but as stated before, it only shows a list with Waypoint1 Waypoint2... where it's unclear which is where on the route, which is the destination, and where they are. Hence the request for naming the waypoints.

Yes, indeed, this feature seems to by missing right now.
Quote:
I believe it has been discussed earlier, but I don't know if the waypoint handling has been finished back then.

I did some research and figured out that for this you need to enable waypoint planning via Settings / Rules / Waypoint planning, or by adding waypoints_flag="1" to the navit tag in navit.xml to have it permanently enabled. If you then select a new destination it will not replace the old one, but be appended to the list of waypoints. You can view the list and delete waypoints via Route in the main menu. Names or coordinates are not shown, but you can click Show on map.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2014, 19:35 

xenos1984 wrote:
I did some research and figured out that for this you need to enable waypoint planning via Settings / Rules / Waypoint planning, or by adding waypoints_flag="1" to the navit tag in navit.xml to have it permanently enabled.

I had to do the latter, as navit won't remember the setting from the GUI :(
There's a line with <navit center=...> in navit.xml wherein I did add "waypoints_flag=1".

xenos1984 wrote:
If you then select a new destination it will not replace the old one, but be appended to the list of waypoints. You can view the list and delete waypoints via Route in the main menu. Names or coordinates are not shown, but you can click Show on map.

Okay, this is working on my Android tablet now. Let's see how Navit behaves on my usual way to work next week :)

Thank You Very Much!

Regards
Ektus.