navit-project.org

forum for navit navigation tool
It is currently 19 Aug 2017, 05:21
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Feel free to ask anything here related to the installation and configuration of Navit.

Some notes before your first post:

Please provide as much informations as possible:

Post subject: Problems entering destination
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2015, 13:23 

Hi,

I am in Canada, and when Navit gets a fix, entering destination has USA for a country. Oops.
I can switch it to Canada by entering Can. This is good.
But then it takes me into entering the street, and none of the streets I am entering brings back any results.
I can manipulate the search into going back to enter the city, and it recognizes Brampton, but still no luck with the streets.

And if I somehow end up in entering house #, I can't seem to have a way to complete it after entering all digits, as there are X on both sides of the input box (guess it may be because the street is not found?).

What am I doing wrong?

Post subject: Re: Problems entering destination
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2015, 21:24 

DrmCa wrote:
Hi,

I am in Canada, and when Navit gets a fix, entering destination has USA for a country. Oops.

Sorry, that's Navit' limitation. We do not detect country by location, so you'll have to select it manually.
DrmCa wrote:
I can switch it to Canada by entering Can. This is good.

I guess you're using the internal GUI for the search. Otherwise my following comments are wrong. To get into the internal GUI, you tap the screen, and you'll get our search dialog under Actions->Town.
DrmCa wrote:
But then it takes me into entering the street, and none of the streets I am entering brings back any results.
I can manipulate the search into going back to enter the city, and it recognizes Brampton, but still no luck with the streets.
Search worked fine for me in that city.
Please zoom in as close as Navit allows, then enter "bramp" in the town search (after you have selected the country), tap "Brampton" marked with a Canadian flag, select "Streets", enter "chec", tap "Checkerberry Crescent", select "House numbers", enter "22", select "22, Checkerberry Crescent", select "Show on the map", and map centre will be positioned at that house.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2015, 22:55 

Oh, I did not know that it was not possible to detect in what country the location was. :(

The interface sounds confusing. When I take a cab and the cabbie enters my address into GPS, they enter it as 123 St and it displays 123 Street Name, they poke their finger at the displayed list of 2-3 names and off we go.
They do not have to enter Country, then fiddle with the interface to get out of Street back into City, enter City, then enter Street name, then enter House number.

You asked if I was using internal GUI. I do not know, whatever comes up on the screen is what I am using. Is there another GUI that works differently?

In real life I am a software developer working primarily in finacial and manufacturing sector. I could try to develop an algorithm to detect a country if you are interested. One question I have is how come when I entered Ca the first country that comes up is Cameroon, while the map I am loading contains only partial USA and Canada. Does OSM map contain all countries of the world regardless of the bounding box, or does navit come with a list of countries?

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2015, 15:59 

DrmCa wrote:
Oh, I did not know that it was not possible to detect in what country the location was. :(
don't worry, it's possible, just not yet implemented. I even know someone who has promised to implement it ;-)
DrmCa wrote:
The interface sounds confusing. When I take a cab and the cabbie enters my address into GPS, they enter it as 123 St and it displays 123 Street Name, they poke their finger at the displayed list of 2-3 names and off we go.
They do not have to enter Country, then fiddle with the interface to get out of Street back into City, enter City, then enter Street name, then enter House number.
Yeah, not very user friendly. We also have an option under POI search to look for a given address around a given point. Enter 123 str and press envelope icon. It doesn't know about city borders though.
DrmCa wrote:
You asked if I was using internal GUI. I do not know, whatever comes up on the screen is what I am using. Is there another GUI that works differently?
sorry, there are no other options on wince
DrmCa wrote:
In real life I am a software developer working primarily in finacial and manufacturing sector. I could try to develop an algorithm to detect a country if you are interested. One question I have is how come when I entered Ca the first country that comes up is Cameroon, while the map I am loading contains only partial USA and Canada. Does OSM map contain all countries of the world regardless of the bounding box, or does navit come with a list of countries?

Country list is hardcoded into Navit. Btw, downloaded map data contains some bits of info outside of the downloaded region, too.
We we would highly appreciate your contribution to navit development. You're welcome to ask for any help needed on the forum or on irc channel.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2016, 14:42 

I ended up not using Navit since the last post, but had to go to another city on Christmas eve and at some point became stranded. Tried the latest version and it still had the same issue: entering destination, no street is recognized. Tried like a dozen around the spot where I was, no luck. Neither city, nor street is recognized no matter what. I am still using the exact map file which I was using back when previous post. It has all the street names and shows them on the map, but entering none of them works.