navit-project.org

forum for navit navigation tool
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 19:23
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Feel free to ask anything here related to the installation and configuration of Navit.

Some notes before your first post:

Please provide as much informations as possible:

Post subject: [Android] Searching for Streets
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 12:41 

Hi,

I recently downloaded navit to test the up-to-date version from the ftp server for Android, but i got stuck during the search. I can searc for cities, but if i search for streets within cities I don't get the right or totally off results. Let's say I search for Mauerstrasse in Aachen. What is the right search term? "Mauerstrasse Aachen","Mauerstrasse,Aachen" or "Aachen, Mauerstrasse" and is navit capable to parse umlauts and so on? I somehow remember, that the streets could be found half a year ago, so I am a bit confused. The Germany flag is set for the search and as a result I get Aachen, but not the the street itself.

Regards and keep up with the good work,
wompy

Mod: Improved title

Post subject: Re: Searching for Streets
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 13:41 

Which Navit version and which map are you using? What happens if you search for a street? Do you get an empty list of results?

I don't have a German map here right now, so I cannot test your particular street, but in general it works for me. The correct search term should simply be "Mauerstrasse" in the street search dialog, i.e., the one that pops up when you have already found the town and continue with the street search.

Post subject: Re: Searching for Streets
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 14:17 

Ok, so this how I found your street on my Ubuntu Navit:
  • Actions -> Town (Germany is prechecked for me here)
  • enter "Aachen" and pick the entry "52062 Aachen"
  • enter "Mauer..." and select the upcomming "Mauerstraße 52062 Aachen")
  • show on map
I think Android will work very much the same.

I absolutly agree that this isn't very intuitive (e.g. OSM nominatim, Google Maps, ...) use such freeform fields that you describe. We will work on making that more confortable :)

Post subject: Re: [Android] Searching for Streets
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 15:15 

It's version navit-svn 0.5.0 5539.

There are two ways to search. By using that "Android"-Button on the lower right side and then Search Address I can type in "Target of travel". If I go by "Mauerstrasse Aachen", it finds Aachen, but it not the the street, so it sends me to the city center.
If I go through Action->Town I can type Aachen, get Aachen as result but then I am struck with a list of "Streets/Show Attributes/Set as Target...". Selecing Streets (which is not intuitive, since those checkmark lists are used for checking and unchecking attributes at other places in the program) I can start to type Mauerstrasse, but I don't get any result. If I click on the left cross it brings me back to the list, if i click the right cross it takes me to the house number, where the green check mark is on the left side.

I am aware, that this is probably a dev-version, but I got the same problems with other versions I downloaded as far as I remember. You might also consider to put it on f-droid.org to get more folks using it without forcing people to use googles spyware.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 17:13 

wompy wrote:
It's version navit-svn 0.5.0 5539.

There are two ways to search. By using that "Android"-Button on the lower right side and then Search Address I can type in "Target of travel". If I go by "Mauerstrasse Aachen", it finds Aachen, but it not the the street, so it sends me to the city center.

I'm not sure how this search works. IMHO it must make use of the default navit internals and they make heavy use of hierachies (DE-city-street-housenumber) to speedup the search. No idea if they try to guess thes elements (and might mess up with this). Anybody else experince with Android devs?

wompy wrote:
If I go through Action->Town I can type Aachen, get Aachen as result but then I am struck with a list of "Streets/Show Attributes/Set as Target...". Selecing Streets (which is not intuitive, since those checkmark lists are used for checking and unchecking attributes at other places in the program) I can start to type Mauerstrasse, but I don't get any result.

Could you please check, if any other streets are found?
It display the streetnames on the map, right? (spelling!)

wompy wrote:
I am aware, that this is probably a dev-version, but I got the same problems with other versions I downloaded as far as I remember. You might also consider to put it on f-droid.org to get more folks using it without forcing people to use googles spyware.

Currently we have a very vague version schema. We will improve that and go back to real releases and svn nightly builds.
Yes we are in conctact to the f-droid team, but they had problems building the release. So you see, we currently to realize some improvement in the processes, too ;)

BTW: Welcome to navit *Matthias wink*

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 18:54 

Searching for "Strasse" I get a bunch of results. I can see street names on the map as well. If you want further details, let me know.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2013, 17:56 

Are you sure you have a recent map?

I would expect described results with an old map (built few months back), or if your town boundary was broken at the moment the map was built. I have retested with current map (130709), no problem with your sample query:

Attachment:
mauerstrasse.png
mauerstrasse.png [ 45.82 KiB | Viewed 7652 times ]

Regarding the search from the Android native menu, it should be working with "Town, Street, Housenumber" query string, using commas to separate address parts. "Housenumber, Street, Town" search worked for me too. Of course, Housenumber part can be skipped.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 19:45 

tryagain, you made it right. Its important, to take only Aachen and not Aachen with a wrong postal code before. So, Navit can find the street. Navit searches not with town-bounderies, it searches in a radius around is_in= Aachen. Is the street to far away from center, its better to take a suburb of Aachen.
In the newer version of Navit (0.5.0) it seems, that in bigger towns now the radius is bigger.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 19:59 

Mapmapper wrote:
... Navit searches not with town-bounderies, it searches in a radius around is_in= Aachen. Is the street to far away from center, its better to take a suburb of Aachen.
In the newer version of Navit (0.5.0) it seems, that in bigger towns now the radius is bigger.

Since the changes applied to maptool in April, 2013, maptool should properly recognize town boundaries in Germany and a few other countries. Then it does not use any radius, but uses exact place boundary. is_in tags are not that important now, they are used only to fall back if country boundary is broken.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 23:19 

Very interesting! Navit can handle osm-Relations now?