navit-project.org

forum for navit navigation tool
It is currently 18 Aug 2017, 22:09
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC

Post subject: Wiki - Contacts
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2013, 10:26 

I have cleaned it from obsolete entries but am not quite sure about a few points:

* "Following development" has a link to a dead Template:SVN_Activity - should that be removed?
* are the Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn links of any value? Especially after the recent scandals around LinkedIn I would rather not link to that one.

http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Contacts

Post subject: Re: Wiki - Contacts
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2013, 17:28 

I have no idea what you mean by "obsolete entries", but after your "cleanup" all contact information for our IRC channel was missing, as well as the rules on language, patience and logs. I could not see any useful changes (in fact I could not see any other changes at all), and so restored the previous version.

Navit is present on Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin, and the links on that page point to these (up to date) profiles, so they are correctly placed.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2013, 18:34 

Obsolete: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/foru ... avit-users

Mailing list is dead, IRC and everything else except this forum strongly discouraged.

The content as it is now is strongly misleading.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2013, 21:15 

What are you talking about?
RichZ wrote:
Mailing list is dead

There is an announcement that the mailing list will be closed. Right now it is not closed.
Quote:
IRC and everything else except this forum strongly discouraged.

IRC is actively being used for discussions. Trac is actively used for bug reports. Launchpad is actively used for translations. IRC logs are up to date and available.
Quote:
The content as it is now is strongly misleading.

The content of the Wiki page is up to date. Before you change things in the wiki, inform yourself about the information you intend to enter, change or delete.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2013, 10:25 

Hi RichZ,

thanks for contributing to our Wiki and sorry if you feel disappointed because we don't appreciate your last changes :/ But after reviewing the history, I agree with user:Xenos1984 that your edits were a bit exaggerated. Anyway, I agree also with your critics and tried to update the page to make it better. What do you say about that and do you still have an idea for further improvements?

P.S. Don't get us wrong, we are always happy if someone spends time and energy into Navit, esp. if it's about docs and the wiki. But pages releated to our community are a bit sensitive, so you might have the impression that we "defend" existing structures. But this is usually just because we are able to have a better overview about communication channels etc. So be patient and explain your ideas, or do smal edits step by step, then everybody will be happy :)

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2013, 17:32 

usul wrote:
Hi RichZ,

thanks for contributing to our Wiki and sorry if you feel disappointed because we don't appreciate your last changes :/ But after reviewing the history, I agree with user:Xenos1984 that your edits were a bit exaggerated. Anyway, I agree also with your critics and tried to update the page to make it better. What do you say about that and do you still have an idea for further improvements?

I think it is very much better now. Does it make sense to have IRC in first position for asking about bugs/features? The Navit IRC works a bit differently than most other chats and this may occasionally leave new users with the impression that nobody cares or that the project is dead.

LinkedIn got some very bad press lately, is it good for anything?

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2013, 17:43 

RichZ wrote:
... Does it make sense to have IRC in first position for asking about bugs/features? The Navit IRC works a bit differently than most other chats and this may occasionally leave new users with the impression that nobody cares or that the project is dead.

As you can get very quick feedback, I think mentioning IRC isn't wrong. But to I lifted this paragraph, as the linked articles contain very detailed step by step instructions already.

RichZ wrote:

[/quote]
I don't have experience with that kind of social network. AFAIK is our maintainer also offers consulting service around Navit, so it's IMHO worth to be in a international business network.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2013, 18:15 

usul wrote:
RichZ wrote:

I don't have experience with that kind of social network. AFAIK is our maintainer also offers consulting service around Navit, so it's IMHO worth to be in a international business network.

Nothing wrong beeing present at LinkedIn , but this is the contact page. Considering this
http://www.bishopfox.com/blog/2013/10/linkedin-intro/
and previous history it is probably the worst ever method of contacting anyone?

Last edited by usul on 31 Oct 2013, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
fix quotes

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2013, 12:05 

That might be wise to consider, but as the maintainer of the Linkedin account seems to be currently unavailable, we don't have any options or detailed opinions about the account.