navit-project.org

forum for navit navigation tool
It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 05:52
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC

Post subject: Navit in 2014
PostPosted: 12 Dec 2013, 19:45 

Hi, the year is comming to an end and maybe it's worth to look back and think about the future. I guess it's up to me to post the first thoughts about that ;)

Personally, I see very good trends in 2013 thanks to all of our hard work:

teamworking:
  • this forum was started
  • Wiki is now clean again
  • TRAC is clean and updated
  • we have an goal for restarting stable/tested releases: 0.5.1

code/releases:

Maybe I missed important things? Just drop a comment!

So for me there are just a few words to summarize all of that: THANK YOU very much Navit team :)

The past tells us, where we are comming from, another question is, where we want to go in the next year?
I'm a bit disappointed by myself, as I don't have the impression that I can currently help on our development. CMake and all the details are a bit to complex for me now and I didn't manage to put the focus on a single platform (OpenPandora, N900, Windows Mobile, Linux) to help on fixing smal bugs. I would like to try to get more skills on coding and create real revenue for navit, as the todo-list for 0.5.1 is very long and we need to fix some serious bugs, before we can start with the nice things as redesign GUI and map styling ;) My dream would be to start with creating unit tests for navit, so we can be sure that our codebase isn't fragile and we don't repeat/reintroduce old bugs and can focus on new things.
I'm not sure if/how we can manage all , the past months showed that cp15 as maintainer suddenly disappeared and we might need to find ways to deal with that. Currently just a few of us have an idea on the codebase and IMHO we might start a local meeting to train all of us to work on navit. But hey, let's see :)

Post subject: Re: Navit in 2014
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2013, 00:07 

Thank you from me, too. There were great advance in development of Navit. Its much more stable now and the code is better human readable.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2013, 06:36 

Thank you, Usul, for organizing most of this and bringing a lot more order into the project! :) Indeed, the development of Navit and the support for users and developers have made significant advances. Let's continue this also in 2014!

By the way, thanks to user Jalakas we now have a complete Estonian translation! Väga tubli! :D

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2014, 12:59 

Thank you for posting this summary. It's a good idea to look back from time to time.

I also think we did some good work, but a lot is still to do.

I do have to correct you on one point :D :

usul wrote:
I'm a bit disappointed by myself, as I don't have the impression that I can currently help on our development.

You did a *lot* of great coordination work (forum, trac...). As someone who works in the software industry, I can tell you that this coordination stuff is as important as the coding, sometimes more important. So thanks a lot for your work!

And if you want to code more, feel free to ask. I'm sure someone will help (I'll try to, at least).

A local meeting might also be a good idea. We'll have to see...

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2014, 14:41 

Thanks for your warm words, but indeed I'm not completely sad or something like that ;) But yes, I expected some different (more 'hard' results) from my work and indeed it was more soft ones. So far not a problem, but I don't feel very comfortable with creating todo-lists and beeing unable to fix at least small issues together with the team.
Maybe a local meeting would be great way to exchange knowledge :)