navit-project.org

forum for navit navigation tool
It is currently 18 Aug 2017, 22:00
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Feel free to ask anything here related to the development process - coding, creating new features, fixing bugs and custom changes of Navit.

Note: For reporting bugs, use the bug tracker.

Should we move from SVN to Git?
Poll ended at 28 Jul 2015, 10:12
Yes. 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
No. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't care. 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3
 Post subject: Navit : is it time to move away from SVN?
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2015, 10:12 

I forward this mail from Kazer to the forum:
Kazer wrote:

Hi,

TL;DR : I suggest that we move away from SVN, and Sourceforge. Please answer “Yes”, “No” or “I don’t care” within a week.

The rationale:

Since Navit was first published almost 10 years ago, we’ve come a long way. We switched from CVS to SVN a few years ago. Overall, using Sourceforge to host the code was working as it should and was fulfilling our needs.

Why should we change now ?
Best practices, coding habits and the way people collaborate nowadays has changed. Today, if you want to submit a patch, you host it on a service like Github and submit a pull request.
Third party tools that can be integrated with services like Github make your life easier. Example : we now have an automated build for the most common platform per commit instead of nightly. It makes regression testing easier, and it also allows to deliver test binaries way faster. Also, we get these ressources for free, no need to host our own compilation server anymore. We have an automated update of the translations templates, and an automated upload of the code analysis to Coverity. If you want to know more, please have a look at http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php ... I_strategy

I do believe that it would make collaboration easier. We could code with more confidence, because we can know within 10 minutes if a commit breaks a branch, a test, or the build for a specific platform. And in the workflow proposed above, we have a branch where the code should always work.

What do we have to do to switch ? Not much actually. Probably only set the SF repo Read-only, publish a note about the switch, and that should be it. The workflow on Github has been used for several month as a downstream of SVN. No issues where found. Currently, we have something like this :
svn -> trunk -> master.
We could revert it to something like
trunk -> master -> svn to avoid breaking third-parties that depends upon our SVN repo (this can be easily automated).

Here’s a few automated tests examples :What’s your opinion? Do you have something specific in mind that would prevent you from switching to Git/Github ?

Thanks for your reply.

As I am sending this email to all the folks who have SVN access, including some inactive devs, I will wait for one week for answers.

Feel free to contact me via email or via IRC, I’m usually around in the evenings.

Thanks!

K-

I support moving to Git. I think the Git workflow is cleaner, more flexible and supports cooperation. Also, Git is in use already, so actually instead of "moving from SVN to Git" it would rather be "dropping SVN from a SVN/Git mashup".

Post subject: Re: Navit : is it time to move away from SVN?
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2015, 10:42 

+1
Yes move

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2015, 13:52 

Yes, a move to git is definitely a good idea. I already use git myself for Navit development, by using git-svn.

Another question is whether we want to move from sourceforge.net to GitHub. SourceForge also offers git hosting, so we could switch to git but keep the repo on sourceforge.net. What is the plan in that respect?

And finally:

I would prefer to keep the wiki and bug database (trac), even if we move to GItHub, which also offers a wiki and issue tracking.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2015, 16:52 

Being a user, I don't care, but can't vote either. Using Seamonkey 2.26 on Windows, all I get is an error message "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again."

Do what's best for ongoing Navit development ;)

Best Regards
Ektus.

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2015, 09:13 

Ektus wrote:
"The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again."

This seems to be a problem with the orange skin, which apparently is not up to date. I switched my settings to the silver skin and then it worked.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2015, 04:57 

Well, the move has happened now, so we can stop discussing it :-).

However, one other thing:

I noticed someone just opened the first issues on GitHub.

I would find it *really* annoying to have to issue trackers (trac and GitHub). It would be nice to disable issue creation on GitHub (and make some note pointing to trac), until we've decided what tracker to use.
I've already mailed Kazer about this.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2015, 07:05 

Hello

is it normal that the last svn update (for android) is from 04/08/2015 ?

thanks

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2015, 08:53 

Tuxi wrote:
is it normal that the last svn update (for android) is from 04/08/2015 ?

Yes :D.

As I wrote above, Navit has switched from Subversion (hosted on http://sourceforge.net/projects/navit/ ) to Git (hosted on https://github.com/navit-gps/navit ). The Subversion repo is frozen.

I'll edit the pages on sourceforge.net to indicate this (hoping to get around to it shortly).

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2015, 06:07 

another question, with svn we can download beta version generated automatically.
is there a way to have a nightly version for testing (without becoming a beta tester) ?

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2015, 12:46 

Tuxi wrote:
is there a way to have a nightly version for testing (without becoming a beta tester) ?

Nightly builds are available at http://download.navit-project.org/navit/

This is also mentioned on the Download page in the Navit wiki.