navit-project.org

forum for navit navigation tool
It is currently 18 Aug 2017, 16:16
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Feel free to ask anything here related to the development process - coding, creating new features, fixing bugs and custom changes of Navit.

Note: For reporting bugs, use the bug tracker.

Post subject: Navit on Raspberry Pi Qt-Embedding
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2015, 17:55 

Hello,

I wrote a musicplayer application for my RaspberryPi based CarPC. I embedded Navit as shown on the Embedding-Wiki-Page. But it is very unresponsive.

When I click on the map, nothing happens. If i press Return it switches to the Internal GUI and stays there. It doesn't get keypresses from the OS nor the Musicplayer application.

Is there anything I can do or ist the RaspberryPi too slow for this kind of Application?

The CPU Load is NEVER at 100%, when Music plays and navit is showing its map.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Navit on Raspberry Pi Qt-Embedding
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2015, 19:38 

Hi Robert.

Interesting work! Can you tell me a bit more about it? I wrote a spotify extension on my side. I figured that it was easier to integrate that into navit rather than embedding navit into another app for this purpose.
Currently my own player only works well for spotify but i have started building a more generic framework for audio playback in navit, from which we could switch between different audio sources.

Is your source code public?
What would you think of this approach instead of the embedding one ?

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2015, 21:01 

KaZeR wrote:
Interesting work!
Thanks. :oops:

KaZeR wrote:
Can you tell me a bit more about it?
What do you want to know? The music player part? The embedded Navit ist just copied from the wikis Embedding Navit page.

KaZeR wrote:
I wrote a spotify extension on my side. I figured that it was easier to integrate that into navit rather than embedding navit into another app for this purpose.
Currently my own player only works well for spotify but i have started building a more generic framework for audio playback in navit, from which we could switch between different audio sources.
*googling what spotify is* Ah. Nice.

KaZeR wrote:
Is your source code public?
What would you think of this approach instead of the embedding one ?
I have no reason to keep my code private but I don't know if it is worth to become public.

But my application needs two features: Reading the UART-KeyPresses from the Head Unit (because the Keyboard will be backup only) and make a OEM-Looking GUI for the time navit is inactive.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2015, 12:50 

I just tried again and sometimes it works with my attached mouse. But GPS doesn't. :evil:

Keyboard doesn't work, too.

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2015, 17:06 

RobertP wrote:
I have no reason to keep my code private but I don't know if it is worth to become public.

This is exactly how cp15 was feeling 10 years ago when he released the source code of Navit in the very first place :)

RobertP wrote:
But my application needs two features: Reading the UART-KeyPresses from the Head Unit (because the Keyboard will be backup only) and make a OEM-Looking GUI for the time navit is inactive.

We can definitely address both. I have also written another plugin that reads the j1850 SAE messages in my car over dbus. It allows me to use the steering wheel buttons to control Navit and we could do the same for your UART key presses.

Can you tell me a bit more about how you would like your GUI to look? Do you mean matching the one that came with your car?

Also, if you know some qt/qml, i have been toying with the idea of building a new qml2-based gui.
The "internal" gui is great because it will work everywhere, but it has some limitations ( like no background images in menus ).
I would love to provide a new GUI with more modern features and some eye-candies.

Feel free to ping me on IRC ( http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=navit ) if you want to chat directly about this, this is exciting!

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2015, 20:38 

KaZeR wrote:
Can you tell me a bit more about how you would like your GUI to look? Do you mean matching the one that came with your car?
My Car is a VW Transporter from 2000. So its quite old and its radio too. I want it to look OEM. No touch, 256 Colors, 320x234 px 5" Display. :mrgreen:

KaZeR wrote:
Also, if you know some qt/qml, i have been toying with the idea of building a new qml2-based gui.
I doubt I can. This is my very first Qt-Project. I used to write software for 8bit microcontrollers in c. The pi is my first serious touch to Operating Systems. Or GUI on multi color screens.

KaZeR wrote:
The "internal" gui is great because it will work everywhere, but it has some limitations ( like no background images in menus ).
In my opinion it is not if you don't use a mouse nor a touch screen. I need to use one rotary encoder (left, enter, right) and one escape button to use navit.

This is how the OEM looks like:
Attachment:
mfd_ori_klein.jpg
mfd_ori_klein.jpg [ 149.23 KiB | Viewed 4110 times ]