navit-project.org

forum for navit navigation tool
It is currently 20 Aug 2017, 17:28
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Feel free to ask anything here related to the development process - coding, creating new features, fixing bugs and custom changes of Navit.

Note: For reporting bugs, use the bug tracker.

Post subject: Android build issue: Navit won't close properly
PostPosted: 26 Apr 2015, 23:14 

Hi guys,

I'm having a strange issue building Navit for Android: When I build and launch it, everything runs fine. When I then quit Navit and restart it, I get the following behavior: Navit starts up normally with a map view. When I enter the internal GUI menu, I can navigate around menu items, but when I try to return to the map (via the Back button or the icon) or tap anything that opens a dialog (such as Town), the screen appears to freeze. Only with the next tap does the previously selected item appear, but the screen appears frozen again.

When I forcibly close Navit (by long-pressing Back or via App settings) and launch it again, things are OK again – until I quit and launch Navit again. Apparently Navit doesn't exit completely when I quit it.

My first suspicion was an issue in my code branch – though it is unlikely as I didn't touch anything related to the GUI. Nevertheless, I went back by a few months (older than the last version I had running with no issues) but the issue remained. Thus my suspect is now the build environment – some recent update in the toolchain might have broken things.

I use Ubuntu MATE 64-bit and usually install updates right away. With Android SDK manager updates I'm a bit lazier. I build Navit from the command line using cmake. My last successful build was around April 1, the last Android SDK update before that was around the second half of February.

Thus, if the behavior above is a regression, it would have been introduced into Ubuntu in April, or into Android SDK between the second half of February and now.

Has anyone seen this before? Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this, and/or how I can fix this?

PS: Currently updating Android SDK, will post an update after the next build attempt.

Post subject: Re: Android build issue: Navit won't close properly
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2015, 00:00 

Update: both Ubuntu and Android SDK are at the latest versions, but the issue is still there.

Another thing I observed is that icon_xs has strange side effects: the check sign in GUI dialogs is about four times the size it was before. When I change icon_xs in navit.xml, it changes proportionally.

I use git-svn, on a branch. Recently I merged master (SVN trunk, at r6087) into my branch and did a hard reset when I got conflicts. Could that be causing the issues?

I switched to master and built that. The icon issue is gone on master but the screen freeze issue is the same. After building master once, switching back to my branch and re-building it, the icon size issue is gone.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2015, 19:36 

Ran a logcat with my old phone (which runs a build of Navit that doesn't suffer from this issue), and here the PID changes every time I quit and restart Navit. On my main phone (which is experiencing the issues I mentioned) the PID stays the same across launches – that is, the first process is never terminated and Android just re-uses it. No idea why...

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2015, 15:03 

At KaZeR's suggestion I tried an APK from CI. I also found an old backup of an APK I'd built myself, and both suffer from the same issue. So apparently it's not the toolchain that's at fault. Likely candidates are the XML config, map data or the device itself. Will run some more tests...

PostPosted: 30 Apr 2015, 18:41 

Seems like I've found a really odd side effect of what seems to be a long-standing bug in Navit. The issue is related to a setting in my navit.xml which I'd removed, thinking I wouldn't need it any longer. Oddly, this customization had prevented the bug from occurring, and as soon as I'd removed that setting, the bug came out.

Details at: http://trac.navit-project.org/ticket/1297