navit-project.org

forum for navit navigation tool
It is currently 21 Aug 2017, 04:47
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Feel free to ask anything here related to the installation and configuration of Navit.

Some notes before your first post:

Please provide as much informations as possible:

Post subject: CSV maps not enabled on Maemo?
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2014, 08:06 

Hi,

I was trying to use some POIs in a CSV file as map in Navit (on Maemo on a N810) as described in http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Csv
I'm getting the error message "navit:map_new:invalid type 'csv'". Does this necessarily indicate that the Maemo svn builds don't include csv support or is there anything else wrong with that line:
Code:
<mapset>
  <map type="csv" enabled="yes" active="1" item_type="poi_custom1" attr_types="position_longitude,position_latitude,label"/>
</mapset>

Post subject: Re: CSV maps not enabled on Maemo?
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2014, 12:31 

Klosels wrote:
I'm getting the error message "navit:map_new:invalid type 'csv'". Does this necessarily indicate that the Maemo svn builds don't include csv support[...]

Yes :-). More exactly, this means that Navit could not find the plugin responsible for the map type "csv". Depending on the configuration and platform, the plugins are either compiled into the Navit binary, or supplied as separate libraries that are loaded when Navit starts. The message means that this process failed. So the "csv" plugin was either not compiled, or the library is not installed correctly.

Where did you download the Maemo binary? If your build supplies the plugins as separate libraries (the Maemo build does this by default, I believe), then you can check if the library file is present: It should be under /opt/navit/lib/navit/map/libmap_csv.so (exact location may vary depending on your installation method).

In addition to that, your config looks wrong: You do not supply the file name with the "data" parameter - how is Navit supposed to know where it should find your CSV file?

Have a look at http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Csv for the right configuration parameters.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2014, 22:36 

Sorry for replying late - the N810 was on vacation with me...

My actual config file contains the data="..." attribute, just left it out in the example.

The Maemo Navit build is downloaded from the Maemo repository at http://repository.maemo.org/extras/ which contains always the latest svn build (rev. 5900 as o today).

I checked for the libraries and found that dpkg lists libmap_csv.so and libmap_csv.la for the navit package, so the plugin at least seams to exist and it is located in the same directory as the binfile map plugin (/usr/lib/navit/map) which works fine.

But: loading the library indeed seems to fail, maybe due to some missing dependency:
Code:
navit:plugin_load:can't load '/usr/lib/navit/map/libmap_csv.so', Error '/usr/lib/navit/map/libmap_csv.so: undefined symbol: g_hash_table_get_values'
navit:map_new:invalid type 'csv'

Is there anything else I can check?
Should I file a bug in trac for this?

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2014, 12:43 

Klosels wrote:
[...]loading the library indeed seems to fail, maybe due to some missing dependency:
Code:
navit:plugin_load:can't load '/usr/lib/navit/map/libmap_csv.so', Error '/usr/lib/navit/map/libmap_csv.so: undefined symbol: g_hash_table_get_values'
navit:map_new:invalid type 'csv'

Ah, we're getting somewhere :). This means that Navit (specifically libmap_csv.so) expects a version of GLib that contains the function g_hash_table_get_values, but during startup it cannot find g_hash_table_get_values.

g_hash_table_get_values was added in GLib 2.14, so it looks like you have an older version of GLib installed. Could you check this, and try upgrading? GLib 2.14 is quite old (released end 2007), so an upgrade could be worth it anyway.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2014, 20:53 

sleske wrote:
g_hash_table_get_values was added in GLib 2.14, so it looks like you have an older version of GLib installed. Could you check this, and try upgrading? GLib 2.14 is quite old (released end 2007), so an upgrade could be worth it anyway.

BTW we have a patched copy of glib in our source tree, which is utilized on platforms lacking an officialy ported glib. We have only selected functions enabled there, but g_hash_table_get_values seems to be supported.

So if system-supplied glib upgrade is not possible, it should be possible to use our copy of glib like it's done on WinCE.

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2014, 18:29 

glib on Maemo4 is very outdated at 2.0 and there are no more updates for the device (an Nokia N810).
So, it seems I'm out of luck unless there's someone who can add Navit's own glib to the package available at http://download.navit-project.org/navit/n800/svn/

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2014, 18:57 

Klosels wrote:
glib on Maemo4 is very outdated at 2.0 and there are no more updates for the device (an Nokia N810).
So, it seems I'm out of luck unless there's someone who can add Navit's own glib to the package available at http://download.navit-project.org/navit/n800/svn/

I have changed the build script on our server to include --disable-glib option.
Please try the binary when you'll see an updated n800 build on our server.

Updated build will have current date, but may have same or greater svn revision number. Corresponding log file at http://download.navit-project.org/logs/navit/n800/svn should have .ok extension and start with following lines
/work/compile/navit/5n800.new /work/batch
configure --prefix=/usr --host=arm-linux --disable-glib --enable-avoid-unaligned --enable-avoid-float --enable-svg2png-scaling=32,48 --enable-svg2png-scaling-flag=16,32,48 --enable-svg2png-scaling-nav=8,16,32,48 --enable-cache-size=20971520

tryagain

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2014, 19:54 

tryagain wrote:
Klosels wrote:

I have changed the build script on our server to include --disable-glib option.
tryagain

The build has failed and I see it is not that easy to fix. Unless there's a way to update glib on your phone, we'll have to add oour own implementation of g_hash_table_get_values for this platform.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2014, 08:31 

tryagain wrote:
The build has failed and I see it is not that easy to fix. Unless there's a way to update glib on your phone, we'll have to add oour own implementation of g_hash_table_get_values for this platform.

tryagain, thanks for your efforts!
Will you rollback the build script changes?

Since I'm not a developer on the Maemo platform, I can't say if updating glib is viable. My guess is that it's not that easy either. It's years since there were regular updates :?

CSV maps would have been nice for a specific use for me, but I can live without it in every-day use.
Should I still open a trac ticket to document the problem?

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2014, 14:57 

Klosels wrote:
tryagain, thanks for your efforts!
Will you rollback the build script changes?

From the build logs, it looks like the change was rolled back. The last builds were successful.

Klosels wrote:
Should I still open a trac ticket to document the problem?

Yes, definitely. Summarize the discussion here, and link to the forum. Maybe someone can tackle the problem.