navit-project.org

forum for navit navigation tool
It is currently 21 Aug 2017, 04:48
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Feel free to ask anything here related to the installation and configuration of Navit.

Some notes before your first post:

Please provide as much informations as possible:

Post subject: next street in route
PostPosted: 06 Aug 2014, 06:04 

I am attempting to display the next street in the rout using navigation.item[x].street_name, but I find that when I am on the freeway, navgation.item[1].street_name is almost always blank because onramps, offramps and flyovers are unnamed in OSM maps. This leads to the voice navigation saying "take ramp right" in the middle of a series of right hand exit ramps in complicated interchanges (which is why I wanted to add the text name in the OSD).
Anyway, I'm finding I need to include item[1] through item[4] to guarantee that the next street name is visible on screen, even on the simple intechanges I regularly deal with (single exit ramp to stoplight intersection). This takes up a huge amount of screen space on my pandora, and still would not show the next street name if it was going through a complicated interchange, the place where it is needed most.
Is there a way to include conditional statements or loops in the navit.XML file so I could scan the list of item[i] until I found the next named street in the list?

Post subject: Re: next street in route
PostPosted: 13 Aug 2014, 04:07 

(crickets)

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2014, 12:08 

I was travelling on the highway in italy - navit told me to drive about 300km from one highway to the next one. In fact the highway-name i've been on changed through the whole 300km, but navit always thought that these 300km were on the same highway.

That access, ramps and exits are not named is really disturbing (some are named, some are not, some are named as the next highway you're guiding to, some are named like the one you're on...) but I think that's a problem with OSM not navit.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2014, 16:43 

The problem you describe is a problem in OSM, but it may be caused people trying to work around the navit problem of unnamed ramps. (naming the ramps so they know what exit they are trying to take).
I don't mind the unnamed ramps, that problem could be easily solved by skipping to the next named street in the rout when displaying the next street name.
But I havn't found a way to do that using the xml file.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2014, 13:02 

Hm, don't know if something like this would work:

Code:
<osd name="street" .... command='
osd[@name=="street"].label = navigation.item[1].street_name==""?((navigation.item[2].street_name==""?(navigation.item[3].street_name==""?${navigation.item[4]}:{navigation.item[3]}):${navigation.item[2].street_name}):${navigation.item[1].street_name}
'>

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Navit on: Sony Z1 compact (Android 5.1.1)

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2014, 16:17 

tauso wrote:
Hm, don't know if something like this would work:

Code:
<osd name="street" .... command='
osd[@name=="street"].label = navigation.item[1].street_name==""?((navigation.item[2].street_name==""?(navigation.item[3].street_name==""?${navigation.item[4]}:{navigation.item[3]}):${navigation.item[2].street_name}):${navigation.item[1].street_name}
'>

Could you point me at some documentation describing what kind of conditionals are allowed in XML files?

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2014, 06:56 

DAP wrote:
Could you point me at some documentation describing what kind of conditionals are allowed in XML files?

Of course, it's in the Wiki. But i've tried the above for myself and it seams navigation.item doesn't work in this conditionals.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Navit on: Sony Z1 compact (Android 5.1.1)

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2014, 10:30 

The unnamed ramps are definitly an OSM problem - but what about the 300km on highway A1 - changing his name from XYZ to ABC then back to XYZ and then to SDF BUT navit does not say anything about a new highway "there was/is no next routing announcement".

So I guess navit was looking at the systematic name. But that can't be because in cities routing works without those systematic names (as not every street in a city has a systematic name).

When I was driving in the opposite direction navit always told me to drive left on the highway when there was an exit - so I've got a route description that told me always to "stay" on the highway instead of saying nothing and just say anything when I have to take the exit on the right.

Is that also an OSM problem?

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2014, 15:58 

ZeroOne wrote:
The unnamed ramps are definitly an OSM problem - but what about the 300km on highway A1 - changing his name from XYZ to ABC then back to XYZ and then to SDF BUT navit does not say anything about a new highway "there was/is no next routing announcement".

So I guess navit was looking at the systematic name. But that can't be because in cities routing works without those systematic names (as not every street in a city has a systematic name).

When I was driving in the opposite direction navit always told me to drive left on the highway when there was an exit - so I've got a route description that told me always to "stay" on the highway instead of saying nothing and just say anything when I have to take the exit on the right.

Is that also an OSM problem?

I'm not sure that unnamed ramps should be concidered a problem. How does one name an exit ramp that branches off to connect to 5 different streets? They don't really have names of their own, the best you can do is name them for the streets they connect to. I think leaving them unnamed is a reasonable thing to do. All that is necessary is to report the next named street, and you have a pretty good idea which ramps to take to get there. If anything, having the speach say "take ramp right to" followed by the street name would adiquately handle the problem.

I will try and play with the conditionals described in the Wiki this weekend and see if I can make something work.

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2014, 16:59 

I'm sorry - the ramps are not a problem - that's a mistake. The other behavior is a problem.
When a navigation software tells you to drive left but means to stay on the road I think this is a misinterpretation of the map (on a highway!) - and therefore a problem.

But I don't know if this is a "problem" of navit (a misinterpretation of the data) or a "problem" of OSM (due to the map-data).