navit-project.org

forum for navit navigation tool
It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 03:28
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Feel free to ask anything here related to the installation and configuration of Navit.

Some notes before your first post:

Please provide as much informations as possible:

Post subject: Re: Installation under Windows CE 5.0 fails
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2015, 01:03 

I understand what both of you are saying.

What I do not understand is why after downloading the map which was estimated and turned out to be around 80 to 90 MB I am getting a message that I am trying to load an over 2 GB map.

Like, any map. I even tried my community size of 3x3 mile - the site still estimates it at 82 MB and I am getting the same error when loading it.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 02:12 

If I cannot get any map from planet extractor that would work on Win CE, how is it supposed to work?
Where can I get the small compressed maps such as that German map that ships with Navit CE?

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 22:17 

Hi!

Please, completely ignore error message about maps over 2 Gb. It is not related to the map you have downloaded. It's always produced by WinCE code.

I guess you see no map on the screen after placing it to sdcard and referencing it in navit.xml?

Then, please answer the following questions:

1. Do you see the map listed under settings->maps?

2. Are you able to find something under Actions->Town?

If both answers are "No", please share your navit.xml and describe where you have put your map file and what file name is it assigned.

tryagain

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2015, 22:06 

Okay, another attempt to get Navit on my CE tablet.
Downloaded this file today: navit-svn-12258.zip
Uncompressed onto the SD card, change the default enabled mapset as follows:

Code:
<mapset enabled="yes">
   <map type="binfile" data="$NAVIT_SHAREDIR/maps/ontario.bin"/>
   <!--map type="binfile" data="$NAVIT_SHAREDIR/maps/osm_bbox_11.3,47.9,11.7,48.2.bin"/-->
</mapset>

Then I commented out default vehicle and uncommented the line below, changed to wince port:

Code:
<vehicle name="Local GPS" profilename="car" follow="1" enabled="yes" active="1"
   source="wince:GPD1 baud=57600 parity=N data=8 stop=1" >

And now I have a blank yellow screen that I cannot zoom out from - it goes to the menu as soon as I hit minus sign (or plus sign more than once).
The map ontario.bin is showing in the map settings.
In the actions I can type Canada for a country and Toronto for the city, but that's about it. What am I doing wrong?
The current vehicle position is shown as 0s. There is another globe under Action with the coordinates of the default initial position in Munchen. Where is it coming from and is it actually overriding the center setting from the XML file? There is a file under /data/center.txt with "mg: 0x139ec2 0x5d7619" - what is that file for and is it overriding the center setting? Oh, this is SOOO confusing!

The complete XML and log attached. Should there be an error in the log if it cannot read GPS data?

Attachments:
File comment: Latest XML file with "center" changed to the downtown of my city and port changed to wince:COM1 and log file with that XML
navit.log.zip [30.85 KiB]
Downloaded 131 times

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2015, 16:46 

Out of pure curiosity renamed

/data/center.txt

into

/data/center.tx_

and saw the map centered at the position specified in navit.xml
Why are you shipping CE version with that file and not mentioning it in the Wiki? This is so confusing and time consuming to figure out!

So the only issue remaining is not getting GPS data - what port/setting should I use? Tried both wince:GPD1 and wince:COM1.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2015, 23:18 

Bumping up!

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2015, 00:34 

Guys, please help! For half a year now I have to drag a huge laptop with an external USB GPS receiver through the bushes because Navit on a tablet does not work :(

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2015, 20:21 

DrmCa wrote:
Why are you shipping CE version with that file and not mentioning it in the Wiki? This is so confusing and time consuming to figure out!

I guess we actually do not ship center.txt. It's created when you run navit to hold your last map position.

DrmCa wrote:
So the only issue remaining is not getting GPS data - what port/setting should I use? Tried both wince:GPD1 and wince:COM1.

Have you read http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php ... S_Receiver ? You'll need a colon after port name. Also, your device may require baudrate to be set. Actually, some devices may have GPS attached even to COM9.

You may also use some different program like SirfTech to detect your GPS device settings. Link we have on the wiki seems to be broken. So google it.

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2015, 23:11 

tryagain wrote:
I guess we actually do not ship center.txt. It's created when you run navit to hold your last map position.

You may also use some different program like SirfTech to detect your GPS device settings. Link we have on the wiki seems to be broken. So google it.

I am playing with the ports shown by SirfTech but do not understand how to determine if the port is working or not. Is there any diagnostics in Navit to see if it is reading GPS data from the receiver?

SirfTech is showing the following ports:
COM0 Vi(r)tualCom01
COM1 GPS driver
COM2 Uart2
COM3 Uart3
COM4 Uart4
COM5 Uart5
COM6
COM7 Vi(r)tualCom02
COM8
COM9 GPS driver

SirfTech seems to be reading from COM0/1/7/9 exactly the same as if they were clones of one port, but Navit behaves very strange: when I specify COM0, Actions menu initially shifts all buttons up and displays a big round red button with X. The 2nd time I open Actions, that button is gone and the normal buttons shift back to where they always are on the screen.

And regarding center.txt - I am confused, does it need to be there? It seems to override navit.xml until deleted, so it looks once it is created based on the original Munchen map, it does not change. Is that how that works?

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2015, 21:01 

DrmCa wrote:
I am playing with the ports shown by SirfTech but do not understand how to determine if the port is working or not. Is there any diagnostics in Navit to see if it is reading GPS data from the receiver?

At the start of navit.xml, there are a few lines which start with <debug. Add there a line
Code:
<debug name="vehicle_wince" dbg_level="debug"/>

debug output should be in the file named navit.log in your navit directory.
You may attach it here if you're uncertain if there are any actual problems reported.
DrmCa wrote:
SirfTech is showing the following ports:
COM0 Vi(r)tualCom01
COM1 GPS driver
COM2 Uart2
COM3 Uart3
COM4 Uart4
COM5 Uart5
COM6
COM7 Vi(r)tualCom02
COM8
COM9 GPS driver

Quite strange... My device had only one port with active GPS. Do they all return your position? Have you set baudrate parameter of vehicle to the value found by SirfTech? Does SirfTech show NMEA protocol to be active on all devices? We do not support native binary protocols, so you'll have to select a port where NMEA is active.

DrmCa wrote:
SirfTech seems to be reading from COM0/1/7/9 exactly the same as if they were clones of one port, but Navit behaves very strange: when I specify COM0, Actions menu initially shifts all buttons up and displays a big round red button with X. The 2nd time I open Actions, that button is gone and the normal buttons shift back to where they always are on the screen.

It looks like you're describing the "Stop navigation" button. Maybe that means navit has a working vehicle and attempts to build a route from the current position, but then maybe it fails so the button disappears.

DrmCa wrote:
And regarding center.txt - I am confused, does it need to be there? It seems to override navit.xml until deleted, so it looks once it is created based on the original Munchen map, it does not change. Is that how that works?

It should track coordinates of navit's screen center, so you always reopen navit at the point you were last looking at. Once you have GPS fix, it will move to current GPS position.