navit-project.org

forum for navit navigation tool
It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 00:53
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Feel free to ask anything here related to the installation and configuration of Navit.

Some notes before your first post:

Please provide as much informations as possible:

Post subject: Map not displayed under Linux
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2014, 11:23 

Hi Folks, I'm new to the project. Using current Xubuntu, I first installed a package via apt and found two problems, maps not displayed and a core dump on exit.

So I down loaded the SVN version. Now the "no visible map" problem is still there, no core dumps however. But I cannot get the GTK interface to work. Hmm, some details ? I'll deal with the no map problem here.

Neither the package nor svn install seems to include the promised sample map of Germany. So I downloaded OSM's view of Australia and processed it using the maptool, apparently without error. And set a start position that should be in part of Oz.

Both the map and those initial coordinates seem to be loaded without error -
Code:
navit:coord_parse:enter('-36.00  144.00',1,0x7fffe9bc8a10)
navit:coord_parse:str='-36.00  144.00' x=-36.000000 y=144.000000  c=14
navit:coord_parse:rest=''
navit:navit_object_ref:refcount navit 0x6d17c0 1
navit:navit_object_ref:refcount map 0x7a0510 1
map_binfile:map_new_binfile:map_new_binfile /home/dbannon/Maps/Navit/australia.bin
map_binfile:map_binfile_open:file_create /home/dbannon/Maps/Navit/australia.bin
navit:file_create:fd=5
navit:file_create:size=138808651
navit:cache_lookup:get 0
navit:cache_lookup:not in cache
navit:cache_insert:insert 0x0 0x0 0x4 0x7a0670 0x0
navit:cache_lookup:get 138808629
navit:cache_lookup:not in cache
navit:cache_insert:insert 0x8460d35 0x0 0x16 0x7a0670 0x0
map_binfile:binfile_read_eoc:sig 0x6054b50
map_binfile:map_binfile_zip_setup:num_disk 0

I don't see anything in the -d1 log to indicate Navit does not have a map for the position shown but all I get is a blank, yellow, window.

Can someone suggest what I need to do to understand this problem ? How can I check my map file is valid ? Or can I get another good map file and set suitable initial coordinates ?

Thanks for reading this far.

David

Post subject: Re: Map not displayed under Linux
PostPosted: 22 Aug 2014, 17:00 

Can you please check, if you did the very basic configuration right? This is a common mistake, as (sadly) it's a bit tricky to change everything:
https://wiki.navit-project.org/index.ph ... figuration

Also please use the offical maps servers and try to keep the most updaotdate version from your distro repos.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2014, 01:53 

Thanks for your help usul. Yes, pretty sure I have that config right. But to be sure, grabed a fresh copy and edited only -
1. the center bit to make it appear in Aust.
2. the mapset to turn off the sample map and enable my processed one.

Code:
davos-LT:~/.navit$ diff  navit.xml /usr/local/share/navit/navit.xml
34c34
<    <navit center="-36.00  144.00" zoom="256" tracking="1" orientation="-1" recent_dest="250">
---
>    <navit center="4808 N 1134 E" zoom="256" tracking="1" orientation="-1" recent_dest="250">
744c744
<       <mapset enabled="no">
---
>       <mapset enabled="yes">
749,750c749,750
<       <mapset enabled="yes">
<          <map type="binfile" enabled="yes" data="/home/Maps/Navit/australia.bin"/>
---
>       <mapset enabled="no">
>          <map type="binfile" enabled="yes" data="/media/mmc2/MapsNavit/osm_europe.bin"/>

My code was checked out only a few days ago.
I just pulled down a new map from http://maps5.navit-project.org/, installed and added it to the config file. Same result. Just a pale yellow undecorated window. So, can assume map is OK ?

David

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2014, 05:40 

• If you click the menu, Settings, Maps, is your map listed there?
  • Does the menu, Actions, Town show you cities that should be on your map?
  • If you click the empty map, and in the menu go to Actions, are there coordinates under the globe which are in your area?

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2014, 13:14 

* If you click the menu, Settings, Maps, is your map listed there?
Yes, its listed.

* Does the menu, Actions, Town show you cities that should be on your map?
Yep, I can 'search' for a town, get the appropriate help and find that town. Now, if I choose the "display on map", I see a map. Thats totally a surprise. If I exit the application and return, the map is displayed. So, what ever the problem is, it related to the first time use. Everything seems to work once it has been initially displayed. I guess thats why long term users have not experienced the problems I have.

* If you click the empty map, and in the menu go to Actions, are there coordinates under the globe which are in your area?
As I no longer see an empty map, this questions may not make a lot of sense. One click and I see the touch screen menu so not a good answer I am afraid. The touch screen menu (the 'internal' GUI) is turned on by default, despite my install being on a desktop.

The Unity people will tell you all linux users are using a mobile device but they are wrong ! (sorry, rant mode off)

I guess I need to clean out my install and see how far back i need to go to get back into the yellow screen mode. It now works for me but thats not a good solution for every new user.

Maybe I'll ask for some help in getting the gtk interface working, that may may the other problem more easily identified. I'll log a seperate ticket on that topic.

David

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2014, 20:12 

Maybe you need to convert the coordinates in your navit.xml from
Code:
"-36.00  144.00"
to
Code:
"3600 S 14400 E"
to make it work at the first run. After the first run, Navit will save the last displayed coordinates and show them again.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2014, 00:06 

Yes xenos1984, that is the case. Must admit I realised it after I went to bed last night. Had had a few beers before I sent the previous message, slowed me enough to miss the obvious, only 'state' information navis keeps was center.txt.

So I could easily reproduce the problem by removing center.txt, so my initial numbers had to be wrong. I am sure I had read in the wiki that the syntex I used is legal but I'll go back and check. I'd tend to think 'my' syntex looks nicer and if its not working as expected, with your approval, I'll file a bug report rather than change the wiki.

Thanks for your help.

Watch for my post about the gtk gui ....

David

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2014, 08:30 

yep, no doubt that on my system at least

center="4808 N 1134 E" works
center="48.08 11.34" does not work

http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Configuration says, under "Initial Map Position", second option, that it should.

Any reason why I should not log this as a bug and put a note on the wiki that the second option does not, at present, work ?

Davo

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2014, 10:43 

Indeed, this looks wrong. Filing a bug is a good idea, I can have a look at the code as soon as I have some time.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2014, 07:12 

OK, have logged this as a bug, then had a good look at it.

http://trac.navit-project.org/ticket/1248

While it all happens in coord.c:260, honestly, I believe the problem starts with confusing wording on the wiki. It lists four different ways of setting that initial position -

4808 N 1134 E - seems to mean 48 deg 8 min lat, 11 deg 34 min long

11.34 48.08 - means 11.34 deg long, 48.08 deg lat, not the same place.

Note reversal of longitude and latutude.

Next one is an extension of the first. And fourth wants us to use Hex notation !