navit-project.org

forum for navit navigation tool
It is currently 18 Aug 2017, 22:03
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Feel free to ask anything here related to the installation and configuration of Navit.

Some notes before your first post:

Please provide as much informations as possible:

Post subject: Navit on Raspberry Pi
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2013, 11:45 

As it looks like I'm one of the really few people having a Raspberry Pi and trying to use Navit on it, I'm going to show how to successfully install Navit on Raspbian, the Debian distro for Raspberry Pi.

You have two different ways to install Navit: the easy one and (of course) the hard one.
Now you could wonder: why should I choose the hard one? I'm going to explain it right now.

1) The easy way is through the apt-get:

Code:
sudo apt-get install navit

In this way you can easily install Navit on your raspberry pi avoiding dependency problems because it will automatically install everything it's needed.
This kind of install should be ok for most of you if you don't want the last version neither the CSV support for POIs.

2) The hard way means that you will have to compile Navit for the Raspberry Pi.
Doing so will give you the last version of Navit (and all the improvements) and the possibility to use CSV files for POIs.

First of all, we will have to deal with the dependencies:

Code:
sudo apt-get install subversion freeglut3-dev imagemagick libdbus-1-dev libdbus-glib-1-dev libdevil-dev libfontconfig1-dev libfreetype6-dev libfribidi-dev libgarmin-dev libimlib2-dev libpq-dev libqtwebkit-dev librsvg2-bin libspeechd-dev libxml2-dev ttf-liberation

This is for the compiling process:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gcc cmake zlib1g-dev libpng12-dev libgtk2.0-dev librsvg2-bin

This is for the SDL graphics (suggested):

Code:
sudo apt-get install libsdl-image1.2-dev libdevil-dev libglc-dev freeglut3-dev libxmu-dev libfribidi-dev

This is for the OpenGL support:

Code:
sudo apt-get install libglc-dev freeglut3-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libfreeimage-dev

This is QT:

Code:
sudo apt-get install libqt4-dev

This is for GPSd support (optional, I couldn't get GPSd working on my Rpi but you can try):

Code:
sudo apt-get install libgps-dev

This is espeak, TTS (text to speech)(optional):

Code:
sudo apt-get install espeak

Ok, now let's download the latest version of Navit from the repository (starting from your user's folder like /home/pi):

Code:
svn co https://navit.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/navit/trunk/navit/ navit

CMake builds Navit in a separate directory of your choice - this means that the directory in which the SVN source was checked out remains untouched.

Code:
mkdir navit-build
cd navit-build

Now the compiling (if you need CSV, keep reading!):

Code:
cmake ~/navit
make

If you need the CSV support for POIs, you must use:

Code:
cmake --enable-map-csv ~/navit
make

This can take A LOT of time (for me, it took almost 1 hour and a half or a bit less). At the end, you can start Navit (don't forget the configuration! Navit.xml):

Code:
cd ~/navit-build/navit/
./navit

-------------------------------
Source: http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Linux_development

Last edited by Angelus88 on 19 Jun 2013, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Navit on Raspberry Pi
PostPosted: 17 Jun 2013, 14:48 

user:Mcr was so kind to add your manual to the wiki:
http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Raspberry_Pi
I think this is a slightly better place, esp. if more people want to maintaine this resource.

BTW how long does the onboard compilaton take in your case? Are we still talk about minutes or hours? Might be interesting for other users, so they don't misunderstand the long running process to be crashed ;)

Thanks to both of you, good work!

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2013, 18:55 

Well, in my case it took almost 1 hour and a half or a bit less for the compilation progress to be done. Yes, maybe it was better to post this guide in the wiki. Anyway, you're welcome, it was a pleasure :)

Hope I can help here who can't install Navit on Raspberry Pi

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 22:36 

Interesting topic. I am almost done installing a pi in my car (just need to enhance the display support and power supply).
Actually I burn-tested it on a 2000kms trip a few days ago.

I am polishing a ready-to-use image (running gentoo), running the latest SVN.

If anyone is interested in alpha-testing, help is welcome :)

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 05:48 

Ready to help :D

PostPosted: 30 Oct 2013, 14:34 

KaZeR wrote:
Interesting topic. I am almost done installing a pi in my car (just need to enhance the display support and power supply).

Hi KaZeR, interesting approach. Power supply should be feasible (like with mobile phones), but what kind of display do you use? And what GPS receiver?
Where did you place your devices, BTW?

Thanks
M

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2013, 11:38 

Hi, thanks for doing this. I am new to this linux world and I have one question. When I follow your install instructions, what is it I am missing to be able to run navit? I mean I can see an executable in the file system, but I don't seem to be able to get Navit to start, do i need to edit something in the .xml file first or am I not in the right file location to run excecute this from the CL??
If I simply download the navit build, I can get it installed, although I am not 100% this is showing the maps correctly for me.
I need CSV POI use, so I need to get your instruction set to work for me. Any assistance much appreciated.

Thanks
Fraggle

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 09:13 

Last night, I delved into the root and was able to run it from there lol. little things...... My sample map works, just need to figure out why my planet map is not working as expected. Could this be how I've built navit.....

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2014, 10:09 

I just followed these instructions to run Raspbian in QEMU, and then followed the wiki article to build and run Navit. Works like a charm! I have tried it with different graphics drivers. All of sdl, qt_qpainter and gtk_drawing_area are working, but with sdl the mouse cursor jumps around a bit. But I don't know whether this is related to sdl on Raspbian in general or to QEMU in this case. I have not tried any GPS sources yet, but the Demo vehicle works nicely. I guess I should get myself one of these PIs :D

Attachments:
File comment: Raspbian in QEMU running Navit.
qemupi.png
qemupi.png [ 87.22 KiB | Viewed 10838 times ]

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2014, 18:35 

For a few weeks I own an model B PI and I use it as mediacenter with my NAS. Really awesome and easy to setup :)