navit-project.org

forum for navit navigation tool
It is currently 24 Jun 2017, 11:57
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Feel free to ask anything here related to the installation and configuration of Navit.

Some notes before your first post:

Please provide as much informations as possible:

Post subject: Overlapping maps resulting in many "turn easily" instruction
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 15:33 

Hi,

when having multiple, overlapping maps activated, navigation is resulting in many "turn easily" instructions every few meters. Because one is flooded with "turn easily" instructions, navigation is unpleasant (not to say impossible since one hardly can filter out the real instructions).

When just one map is activated, navigation instructions are as expected.

Is there any chance to remove the unnecessary "turn easily" instructions?

Chris

How to reproduce:
      2 overlapping maps activated (flooded with turn easily instructions)
        Downloaded predefined Germany map from http://maps9.navit-project.org/, saved as ger.bin
        Downloaded predefined Denmark map from http://maps9.navit-project.org/, saved as den.bin
        include both *.bin in xml config
        starting navit, both ger.bin and den.bin are activated in settings->maps
        search in Actions->Towns for Germany->24103 Kiel->Moltkestraße and set as position (and deactivate vehicle)
        search in Actions->Towns for Germany->24937 Flensburg->Friesische Straße and set as destination
        click main menu->route->description. It shows more than 100 entries, most of them "turn easily ..."
      just 1 map activated (expected behaviour)
        click main menu->actions stop navigation
        deactivate den.bin in menu->settings->maps
        search in Actions->Towns for Germany->24103 Kiel->Moltkestraße and set as position
        search in Actions->Towns for Germany->24937 Flensburg->Friesische Straße and set as destination
        click main menu->route->description. It shows less than 20 entries, just a few real "turn easily ..."

Post subject: Re: Overlapping maps resulting in many "turn easily" instruc
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 16:10 

My recommendation to quickly fix the problem for your use case would be to download just one map covering the whole area, in this case Germany and Denmark (or the relevant parts of both countries). Since you use the Navit map downloader, this should be rather simple.

Indeed there are some problems with overlapping maps. I'm not that familiar with the relevant part of the Navit code, but it's certainly a good idea to have a closer look at this and hopefully fix it. However, this may take a bit longer.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 17:25 

Hi xenos1984,

thanks for you're fast reply! Following your suggestion, I'll try downloading a big single map containing both countries.

Generally, I would prefer having multiple small maps, rather than always creating a big map. The first one is more modular and easier to be extended or modified.

Chris

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2013, 18:13 

Yes, I agree with that.
I have no idea, what is currently better from a technical POV (beside this bug).

It would be good, if you could provide all this details to the ticket:
http://trac.navit-project.org/ticket/1111
(login with wiki profile url as opendid string)

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2013, 14:53 

Hi!

I added the infos to the ticket in trac.
Anything else to do?

Chris

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2013, 21:29 

Actually, #1111 was closed as a duplicate. The main discussion of the problem is at [http://trac.navit-project.org/ticket/1046 #1046].

As we have a few working workarounds (use one big map or deactivate unneeded map parts), I do not consider it as a high priority task.

There are some other consequences of multiple overlapping maps usage. You may get your town multiple times in search results but be unable to find any streets in some or all of its instances.

Please note that actually map boundary is fuzzy, as Planet extractor will give you any binfile tile which overlaps with the selected region. So download may include some objects hundreds and thousands kilometres away from the selection.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2013, 10:48 

FYI: I added this bug to our FAQ:
http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php ... ouncements

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 10:33 

I have tested Navit last week with 3 maps, 2 connected and 1 not. It works nearly always fine. But I took the maps not from planet.org, I took them from Geofabrik. They cut harder at the boundaries, so overlapping is reduced.In ticket #1111 was a comment similiar to this.

The Geofabrik-Maps must be modified by maptool. Its easy and fast. Its a workaround, too.