navit-project.org

forum for navit navigation tool
It is currently 23 Jun 2017, 03:38
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Feel free to ask anything here related to the installation and configuration of Navit.

Some notes before your first post:

Please provide as much informations as possible:

Post subject: Routing needs many waypoints
PostPosted: 14 May 2015, 14:29 

With current version 0.5.0 6089 and map data from around march, 2015, Navit fails with finding a route from Passau (Germany) to Oradea (Romania), unless one enters some waypoints in between (Budapest, Dabas).

Likewise, it's necessary to enter quite a few waypoints in order to obtain a route from Stockenroth (Germany) to Radauti (Romania), Hungary being only a small part of that.

Regards
Ektus.

P.S.: http://www.rdr-ev.de describes the purpose for driving there. Next time will be end of May, 2015. The facebook page is more up-to-date...

Post subject: Re: Routing needs many waypoints
PostPosted: 14 May 2015, 22:05 

Hi!

What vehicle profile do you use?
Does switching to "car pedantic" profile help? If not, does it crash or just do not find the route?

If car_pedantic crashes or just takes too long to find the route, it may be worth to play with route_depth parameter of vehicleprofile, described here: http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php ... cleprofile . In your case, increasing the first 4 in route_depth="4:25%,8:40000,18:10000" may make sense. The bigger value, the more probably navit will find route (or crash).

PostPosted: 15 May 2015, 06:57 

Hi Tryagain!

tryagain wrote:
What vehicle profile do you use?

Either car or truck, or car shortest.

tryagain wrote:
Does switching to "car pedantic" profile help? If not, does it crash or just do not find the route?

On my tablet, switching to "car pedantic" leads to navit using all of the available memory (around 400MB) and then being kicked out of the system by Dalvik. The other profiles just don't find a route, unless I put a lot of waypoints in there.
Current testcase: Route through Hungary, from the Austrian border at Nickelsdorf to Oradea in Romania. Even with two aditional waypoints near Budapest and near Dabas it won't work.

Edit: waypoints for the test, copied from bookmark.txt:
mg:0x1d08cf 0x5ce2a2 type=bookmark label="Nickelsdorf" path="Nickelsdorf"
mg:0x203554 0x5bb5e0 type=bookmark label="Budapest" path="Budapest"
mg:0x20ed8e 0x5b200c type=bookmark label="Dabas" path="Dabas"
mg:0x25574b 0x5aa8f5 type=bookmark label="Oradea" path="Oradea"
/edit

tryagain wrote:
If car_pedantic crashes or just takes too long to find the route, it may be worth to play with route_depth parameter of vehicleprofile, described here: http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php ... cleprofile . In your case, increasing the first 4 in route_depth="4:25%,8:40000,18:10000" may make sense. The bigger value, the more probably navit will find route (or crash).

I'll see if I can test this later today, but tweaking those settings surely is beyond the capability of most users :-(

Regards
Ektus.

PostPosted: 15 May 2015, 13:34 

tryagain wrote:

If it crashes already with the standard setting due to memory shortage, increasing those values doesn't sound like an viable option :-(

Now, if it were possible to store and retrieve lists of waypoints that define a route, it would make for a workable workaround that doesn't involve recreating the route from the bookmarks every time. Where does Navit store the active route?

Regards
Ektus.

PostPosted: 15 May 2015, 17:27 

Ektus wrote:
If it crashes already with the standard setting due to memory shortage, increasing those values doesn't sound like an viable option :-(

I was talking about increasing the first "4" in route_depth="4:25%,8:40000,18:10000" of generic car or truck profile. Car pedantic has route_depth="18:25%,18:40000" (which is equal to "18:25%,18:40000,18:10000"). You have good chances with route_depth="8:25%,8:40000,18:10000" or even with route_depth="6:25%,8:40000,18:10000".

Ektus wrote:
Now, if it were possible to store and retrieve lists of waypoints that define a route, it would make for a workable workaround that doesn't involve recreating the route from the bookmarks every time. Where does Navit store the active route?

It stores it in destinations.txt file in system protected navit home directory. But that file is accessible if you do a backup. You even can change that file before you do a restore.

BTW, i have tried to enter multiple destinations and restart navit. It continues navigation with all enterd destinations when i restart navit. The only drawback, it keeps the corresponding switch off, so if you try to set destination afterwards, it replaces the whole route.

If you want to have multiwaypoint routing enabled by default, you may set waypoints_flag attribute of <navit> tag to 1.

PostPosted: 15 May 2015, 18:59 

tryagain wrote:
I was talking about increasing the first "4" in route_depth="4:25%,8:40000,18:10000" of generic car or truck profile. Car pedantic has route_depth="18:25%,18:40000" (which is equal to "18:25%,18:40000,18:10000"). You have good chances with route_depth="8:25%,8:40000,18:10000" or even with route_depth="6:25%,8:40000,18:10000".

Ah okay, thank you for the clarification. On my tablet, the route_depth parameter was missing in the "truck" profile. Playing around with the parameter in the "car" profile with the test route, 10 leads to memory overflow, 8 produces a valid route. That helps, I'll try on my brother's phone tomorrow.

tryagain wrote:
Ektus wrote:

It stores it in destinations.txt file in system protected navit home directory. But that file is accessible if you do a backup. You even can change that file before you do a restore.

BTW, i have tried to enter multiple destinations and restart navit. It continues navigation with all enterd destinations when i restart navit. The only drawback, it keeps the corresponding switch off, so if you try to set destination afterwards, it replaces the whole route.

If you want to have multiwaypoint routing enabled by default, you may set waypoints_flag attribute of <navit> tag to 1.

On my tablet, that parameter already was set. The problem was only on the phone, but that has got a new installation and on the tablet I may have altered that setting a long way back (when there wasn't even a UI switch, probably).
My tablet being rooted, I can access the directory /storage/sdcard/navit/ without restrictions. I've got the maps lying in there and navit.xml.

Anyway, thank you for your help!

Regards
Ektus.