navit-project.org

forum for navit navigation tool
It is currently 25 Jun 2017, 10:39
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Feel free to ask anything here related to the development process - coding, creating new features, fixing bugs and custom changes of Navit.

Note: For reporting bugs, use the bug tracker.

Post subject: Generate OSM for Navit with English names
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2015, 07:11 

I'm new in Navit and OSM, but I have up and running Navit on Linux. I'm planning trip to China and would like to have OSM for my Navit that could contain English names (in ideal together with Chinese). I download maps with Map Extractor . Currently I have map that contains names that are even not recognized by my Navit, but I suppose this is Chine's. How to get map with English names and how to fix problem with Chines symbols?

Attachments:
fonts.png
fonts.png [ 52.62 KiB | Viewed 3102 times ]

Post subject: Re: Generate OSM for Navit with English names
PostPosted: 02 May 2015, 19:31 

Thank you for your interest in Navit!

We currently do not support any object name languages besides default. So most objects are named in local language of the place they belong to.

There's a workaround. But you'll have to download raw osm data of the region you need, preprocess it with some tool to replace name tags with name:en ones where they exist, then process the file with maptool. For big regions maptool could require much resources (memory, disk space, cpu time). And you'll have to include the whole country boundary into the data set to have working address search.

Also, I was unable to reproduce your problem with labels in China on my Android 4.1.1 device. It seems to show all text info, regardless of language.

I guess there's some problem with fonts installed on your device, or maybe there's a bug in navit. Can you tell us your device name and Android version, so we can investigate further?

Post subject: Re: Generate OSM for Navit with English names
PostPosted: 08 May 2015, 12:37 

It would be nice if maptool could use names in a language "xx" of the user's choice, by preferring the tag "name:xx" over "name". However, at least in China this would probably not be enough, as it seems like many map objects only have "name".

So for this to work properly, we'd probably have to use some kind of transliteration/romanization, which would be a difficult task. There are libraries to do this, but we'd have to integrate them.

However, this is a problem that is not unique to Navit, but something that affects every user of OpenStreetMap data. So it is probably better to use some transliteration software/service for OSM data, which replaces the content of "name" with that of "name:en" or similar.

One such system is described in the blog post A simple way to localize (latinize) an Openstreetmap style.
It uses utf8translit, which is part of Mapnik and can transliterate names using the Transliterator from the ICU project.

This is used by the "German mapnik style", which is visible on http://openstreetmap.de/karte.html . Note that places and streets in China all have names written in Latin characters, unlike on the main map at http://www.openstreetmap.org/ .

This is probably the way to go for us, too.