navit-project.org

forum for navit navigation tool
It is currently 26 Jun 2017, 07:04
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Feel free to ask anything here related to the development process - coding, creating new features, fixing bugs and custom changes of Navit.

Note: For reporting bugs, use the bug tracker.

Post subject: Managing Translations
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2013, 13:52 

Hi, at some place we promote that Navit supports 40+ languages. I guess this outdated, but might be the right number long time ago. The wiki says, that we used launchpad for a while, too. In the end, we seem to manage the translations now on our own.

To outsource some workload, I suggest to utilize a crowdsourcing translation platform again. This will allow externals to privide localisations for our UI/CLI and we don't have to do it only on our own in the long run. In the short, cp15 doesn't need to do even the translation stuff, too.

Possible candidates:
Launchpad:
We have already a profile (managed by KaZeR) but without any contributions. Personally I don't like this "all in one" portals, but it might do the job.

OpenTranslators:
They make use of the transiflex webservice, that is commercial. IMHO thats a bad aspect :/

Translatewiki:
They use semantic Mediawiki extensions to get a WebUI for translating other OpenSource projects. They seem to be already familar with OpenStreetMap and other GIS tools. Obviously there are a few doznt people active and they support our gettext/.mo approach as well. As this all sounds not bad, I contacted them to get a few more details and if they would accept Navit as a new project.

So what do you think? Should we try to involve more people on i18n? How much/which languages should put the focus on? And will it stay translation of texts only in the long run, or relecting even more country specific settings (units, traffic rules, map styling, ...)?

Post subject: Re: Managing Translations
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2013, 08:29 

It's certainly a good idea to involve more people (and especially native speakers) in the translation process, since the developer team probably speaks only a few of those many languages. I don't have any experience with any of those platforms, so it's hard to say which one fits best (although a commercial one is certainly not what we want).

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2013, 13:08 

Thanks for your reply :) I chatted again with TW and everything seems to be fine, but it will take time till navit is accepted and till we can start with restarting the translation process.

At Diaspora someone is willing to contribute Czech<->German translations. I will introduce him, if we are ready.

Some other aspects in the long run might be, if translation of strings is the only thing that we will need. What about the maps (colouring, character sets, ...), search (different languages, different poi categories, ...) routing (traffic rules) or position providers (Beidou, GALLILEO, ...)? I guess it's usefull if we have more people from different countries :)

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2013, 16:34 

I contacted Translatewiki once again and they say that It will take some months to setup navit subproject. So if we focus release 0.5.1. this year, we need a plan b ;)

Maybe we can do it manually (and limited just to a few important languages) or fall back to the launchpad setup.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013, 14:55 

I'm a bit confused, as Launchpad seems to be updated, but some translations seem to be out of date either (German for example)
https://translations.launchpad.net/navit

Can anybody provide more informations on the current workflow?

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013, 23:54 

user:tryagain confirms, that there is currently no autosync.
We will fix this ASAP when we finished the TRAC migration :)

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 21:13 

We used to use launchpad, and have automated import/export. Unfortunately, at some point they changed the way authentication works on their platform and it broke the script. I'm almost done fixing it, hopefully.

I personally like the translation system in launchpad. It's easy to use, it has a very strong userbase ( look at how many contributors we have their on translations).

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 23:20 

That would be brilliant :)
IMHO we should take care at least of the major langs. If we can support more (long term support!), this would be a very nice extra.

My critics on launchpad isn't on the translations system itself (which I used and like it already), but that it's a platform for doing so many things, that we currently do using other tools. I'm just afraid, that people might expect that we use all of their tecnology and we dont :roll:

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 07:05 

Actually it's not complicated to handle *every* translation that we have in launchpad, since it's scripted :)

The script should be fixed now to be semi-automated, i'll try to push the updates to SVN this week-end.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 13:30 

Thank you :) Please give us a definite GO! when we should start promoting the ability to translate.

Then I will start updating this wiki page:
http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Translations
I already started some sort of dictionary, to have a unique use of specific terms at different strings.

Corresponding to wikipedia the language distribution by speakers is like:
  • english
  • spanish
  • french
  • mandarin/chineese
  • hindustani
  • arabic
  • portugese
  • russian
  • german

But IMHO we should take into account the OSM data quality of this areas, to find a better balance of our endusers. So a improved list with priorities might look like:

• english
  • french
  • russian
  • german
  • spanish
  • portugese
  • mandarin/chineese
  • arabic
  • hindustani

So this might be a base to attract new contributors for updating esp. this navit translations. I guess we need to take care, that there will be at least 2 translators and make sure that they understand, that we are interested in long term contribution ;)

P.S: You can skip my english translations that I did at launchpad as they will cause conflicts and were at least for me just a test.