navit-project.org

forum for navit navigation tool
It is currently 28 Jun 2017, 00:09
View unanswered posts | View active topics

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Feel free to ask anything here related to the installation and configuration of Navit.

Some notes before your first post:

Please provide as much informations as possible:

Post subject: Internal GUI: combine OSD buttons and map point menu
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 21:28 

Hi!

I'm using Navit on a N810 (internal GUI) and always missed the possibility to select an arbitrary map point as destination, especially in areas where there are no house numbers in OSM or I don't know an exact address.

Recently I found out about the menu_on_map_click attribute of the <gui> tag, but setting it to 1 left some things to be desired (edit: some problems I first described were related to a badly calibrated touch screen and are fixed now).
Is it possible to jump to e.g. the Actions submenu directly when clicking anywhere in the map but going to the main menu through an OSD button? Is it possible to specify a target in the menu structure in the menu_on_map_click attribute?

Thanks for any thoughts and ideas,
Lars.

Post subject: Re: Internal GUI: combine OSD buttons and map point menu
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2013, 22:11 

The only thing I know is, to hold the finger for a while on the screen and then appears a destination-button. A short tip on it, and the destination is set. Is this, what you want?

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 06:58 

That would be half way there ... the long-click for getting the button or into a menu would be ok but I'd like to have all the actions which work relative to the map point (set destination, list of near POIs, show attributes, ...) available.

As a first step I'd need to get the long-click to show button behaviour - is it possible to configure this with <gui type="internal"> at all? Which gui type do you use on what platform? Does any configuration in your navit.xml relate to this?

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 12:39 

So currently I do it like this:
  • Click on the map to the point you want to route to
  • In menu choose: actions, mappoint (globe), set as target

I know this is very bad usability, but we will address it in navit 0.6 major release, so that the user is aware of this context-sensitivity of some parts of the menu.

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 13:27 

Ok, so I interpret this as "no, currently not possible", saves me from further trial and error.

Had a look at the road maps for 0.5.1 and 0.6.0, they look very promising, even though I'm aware that with limited contributors we'll still have to wait a while.

Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 18:32 

Actually, this feature is already implemented.

Default navit.xml suggests to add following attribute and value pair
Code:
on_map_click='menu("#Map Point")'
to the gui tag. I have updated the wiki page https://wiki.navit-project.org/index.ph ... of_options to reflect this.

To reach internal gui root, you can press Home button.

Also, as wiki suggests, to reach directly internal gui menu root, following osd may be used:
Code:
<osd enabled="yes" type="button" x="-96" y="48"  command="gui.menu()"                     src="menu.xpm" />

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 22:34 

I tested it. The on_map_click has to be in the first line of "<gui type..."
Code:
<gui type="internal" enabled="yes" on_map_click='menu("#Map Point")' font_size="500" icon_xs="32" icon_s="80" icon_l="80" spacing="3"><![CDATA[

And you need no extra-button, because you can reach main menue with tipping on the house-icon top left, if you are in Map-Point-Menue.

Hey, good idea! I will change my navit-config in the same way!

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2013, 18:29 

Perfect - just what I wanted!
Thanks for letting us know and documenting it :)

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2013, 12:09 

One more related question: is it possible to avoid the map-click menu to open when I click on any OSD item which has no associated command?

Example: I have an area which contains current speed, speed limit, altitude, eta, distance left and time left. I'd like to tap in that area to simply enable display backlight on a portable device without going into the map point menu each time, having to return vai the globe icon. This is especially pointless since the map under these OSD items is not visibe anyway, so selecting a point there is not a use case.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2013, 16:18 

Klosels wrote:
One more related question: is it possible to avoid the map-click menu to open when I click on any OSD item which has no associated command?

You can use the OSD-item 'button' with a transparent empty image and a neutral action for this purpose.
---
Edit 17.11.2013:
For completeness, the OSD-item 'image' is a better choice here.
---

I do use one invisible button ontop of the compass to toggle the orientation and on ontop of the gps indicator to toggle the fellow_cursor. This way I can search (zoom and shift) the map while routing.

Code:
<osd enabled="yes" type="button" command="orientation=~orientation" x="-110" y="-60" src="/home/user/.navit/transparent.png"/>
<osd enabled="yes" type="button" command="follow_cursor=!follow_cursor" x="-50" y="-60" src="/home/user/.navit/transparent.png"/>

To keep the display lid on the N810, you can as well send the following dcop signal from a shell script every 30 seconds.

Code:
dbus-send \
  --system \
  --type=method_call \
  --dest=com.nokia.mce \
  /com/nokia/mce/request \
  com.nokia.mce.request.req_display_blanking_pause

Attachments:
File comment: transparent backhround for OSD button
transparent.png
transparent.png [ 919 Bytes | Viewed 5602 times ]

Last edited by chr on 17 Nov 2013, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.